Hive World supplies Food Grade Glycerine:
- 6 Kg plastic containers of vegetable based food grade Glycerine.
- Suitable for mixing with oxalic acid.
- Soak BKF strips: https://www.hiveworld.co.nz/product/beekeepers-friend-strips/ or Dry Wall Shim strips: https://www.hiveworld.co.nz/product/dry-wall-shim-for-oxalic-treatment/ to provide you with an economical option for treating your hives.
- We recommend you test your mixture on a few hives to ensure you have the right mix. The recommended mix is 40/60 volume oxalic acid to glycerine. Use approximately 1 x 6kg glycerine to 1 x 4kg oxalic acid. – https://www.hiveworld.co.nz/product/350g-oxalic-acid/
- Be very careful how you mix this – DO NOT OVERHEAT when dissolving the acid. Ensure the temperature is not above 60 degrees celsius.
- Do not use an aluminium pot as it will react with the acid.
- Soak strips in a (preferably covered) plastic bucket or bin until totally wet through.
- Store until ready to use. Do not place dripping strips in your hives.
- These strips are left in the hive for only 8-10 weeks then removed (same as regular treatments). Check after 4 weeks as bees can chew their way through them therefore they may need to be replaced!