Dry Wall Shim for oxalic treatment
$23.65 Excluding GST
Dry Wall Shim for use with oxalic/glycerine mixture for treatment of varroa mites.
See link below to a study done in Argentina on the use of oxalic/glycerine treatments –https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13592-015-0405-7
Hive World supplies Dry Wall Shim for oxalic treatment:
- Dry Wall Shim for oxalic treatment comes as cardboard strips in bundles of 100.
- Measuring 38mm wide by 1180mm long – they can easily be cut to provide 3 x strips 393mm long. This gives a cost of 8 cents per strip
- Soak strips in a solution of glycerine https://www.hiveworld.co.nz/product/glycerine-food-grade/ and oxalic acid and hang over your brood frames. (This is the same method as with regular varroa treatment.)
- We recommend a 40-60 ratio by volume of oxalic acid powder to vegetable based glycerine.
- Heat the solution gently to dissolve the oxalic so there are no crystals remaining but take care not to heat it over 60 degrees Celsius.
- Do not use an aluminium pot as the acid can react with the aluminium.
- Place the strips in a plastic pail or bin preferably with a lid and pour oxalic mixture over to cover the strips. Leave strips submerged until they are completely soaked through.
- Remove strips and store until required.
- Use four strips per brood box and leave for 6-8 weeks.
- Check strips after 4 weeks as the bees in a strong hive can remove them and they may need to be replaced.
|Dimensions||115 × 7 × 8 cm|