Hive World Varroa Check – use this handy tool when you are worried about mite levels in the hive.
- Collect a handful of bees (approximately half a cup = 300 bees) from the centre of the hive. Be careful not to include the queen! Place in the Hive World Varroa Check.
- Add a heaped tablespoonful of icing sugar and secure lid.
- Gently rotate container for 2 minutes thereby ensuring all bees are dusted with sugar. Wait 2 minutes and rotate again for a further 2 minutes.
- Release the bees and check the mite drop by tipping the debris out on to a white surface. Over 10 mites (3%) suggests you need to treat.
- Be aware that the collection of bees can disturb the hive therefore it is wise to wear your beekeeping protective wear. A smoker can also help to calm the situation!
- Alcohol can be used as a mite wash alternative as well as liquid detergent/water mix. Just ensure that you don’t foam the detergent up as this makes mites difficult to see!
- Checking for mite levels on a regular basis helps you keep in control of the situation and be prepared for treating if necessary.