Kitset Nuc Box
$25.65 Excluding GST
Hive World supplies Kitset Nuc Boxes for you to hive a small colony of bees – usually a package, swarm or split.
Constructed in New Zealand from local materials and supplied flat pack for economy of handling.
Nuc boxes are useful for:
- holding frames while you inspect your hives or when redistributing between hives.
- as a swarmcatcher – Bait the box with swarm lure such as Charme des Abeilles https://www.hiveworld.co.nz/product/bee-charm-swarm-attractant-2/ as well as some spare comb for best results.
- a mating nuc for raising queens. See below link for how to do this:https://www.honeybeesuite.com/how-to-start-a-queen-in-a-two-frame-nuc/
Hive World also supplies Galv lids and hive mats for nuc boxes.
Hive World supplies a Kitset Nuc Box:
- solid New Zealand manufactured timber kitset nuc box all ready to courier, supplied flat pack for economy.
- assemble your own boxes over winter so you are ready to house your splits and mating nucs when the season begins.
- Hive World also sells nuc box galv lids as well as hive mats to fit.
Why do you need a Nuc?
Nuc Boxes are part of a hive management plan. They are used to hold a swarm, for queen mating as well as for re-queening. Other uses are included below as well as a bit more information for you on these topics.
- useful for holding frames while you inspect your hives as well as for when you redistribute resources between your hives.
- Kitset Nuc Boxes are great as a swarmcatcher. Firstly bait the box with some spare comb and for extra insurance smear some swarm lure such as Charme des Abeilles https://www.hiveworld.co.nz/product/bee-charm-swarm-attractant-2/ inside the box. Place near the swarm or in a likely place for a swarm to appear.
- Use as a mating nuc for raising queens. See this site for information on how to accomplish this: https://www.honeybeesuite.com/how-to-start-a-queen-in-a-two-frame-nuc/
- Always keep some nucs handy for emergency splits and swarm events. There’s nothing like being prepared for all eventualities!
- I’ve seen some multi-purpose suggestions for nuc boxes: as a toolbox in the apiary yard (add a handle) or even a mobile battery holder! Beekeepers are nothing if not original- way to go!
|Dimensions||51 × 24.5 × 12 cm|